MARITIME SKILLS Taught and Practiced by SEA SCOUTS of Ship 72
LATE 1800 ….25 FT RACE POINT SURF RESCUE BOATS
- Learn rowing commands, teamwork and appreciation of our maritime history.
- Experience using 14 ft. and 16 ft. oars pre Coast Guard, motors and 911.
SAILING and BOATING SKILL
- Prepare and follow FLOAT PLAN.
- Rules of the Road and Safety Knowledge
- Shipboard discipline, etiquette and maritime history.
- USCG Vessel Safety Check – prepare and follow procedure.
- Row dingy with another, plus gear, to mooring and tie to mooring pendent
- leave and return using outboard
- Mooring: leave and return all under sail
- Mooring: leave and return using outboard
- Basic knots and lines per SS manual.
- Secure vessel at mooring for storm
- Leave dock and return to dock using heave line, cleat, breast, spring lines and fenders
- Tack using winches, genoa and main sail
- Starting and operating outboard.
- Reef the Main and sail on several size & types of boats
- Set, weigh, and stow anchor
- At Anchor: Practice BSA Safe Swimming Defense Plan
- Sail at night: from and retuning to mooring
- Prepare harness, tow line and tow and be towed
- Free vessel when run aground
- Man overboard drills
- Hypothermia survival skills.
- Basic coastal navigation using paper and electrical charts.
- Marine radio communications, emergency day and night signals
- Beach vessel and anchor
- Check registration and insurance.
- Grease hubs and check lights
- Verify tongue weight distribution and vehicle tow capacity.
- Hook up and unhook trailer from vehicle
- Secure boat properly on trailer using winch, safety chains and straps.
- Drive or aid in directing trailer down ramp for launching
- Launch vessel from trailer into water
- Drive or aid vessel onto trailer and haul out
VESSEL MAINTENANCE - Wood & Fiberglass Construction
- Lower, raise and tune mast rigging.
- Bend on sails and derig.
- Prepare hull for anti- foul paint
- Prepare and coat wood from sun and water
- Use resin and hardener to fiberglass/gelcoat
- Winterize engines, battery storage & charging
- Cover/Tarp vessels: drain plugs, frame, block, secure mast & boom and tie down